Almond–Brussels Sprouts Soup
Elegant and richly flavored, this vegetable soup featuring brussels sprouts and a myriad of other veggies has almond butter as its base. You can use cashew butter or peanut butter for equally delectable results. Fresh whole grain bread and a salad of tomatoes and mixed greens make excellent companions. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, optional
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
or one 32-ounce container low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, more or less to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley or sage for garnish
- Slivered or chopped almonds for garnish, optional
- Croutons for garnish, optional
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and celery and sauté over medium heat until golden.
Add the garlic, potato, optional wine, tomato, about two thirds of the brussels sprouts (reserve and set aside the remainder), water with bouillon cubes, and seasoning. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 25 to 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
Add half of the peas, simmer for a minute or so longer, then remove from the heat.
Transfer the solid ingredients to a food processor and puree, in batches if necessary, until smooth (or leave a bit of texture). Transfer back to the soup pot, and whisk in the almond butter until smoothly integrated into the stock. Or, add the almond butter, then insert an immersion blender into the pot and puree the soup until smooth.
Add enough water to give the soup a medium-thick consistency; I typically need to add at least a cup, and as the soup stands, a bit more. Return to very low heat.
In a separate saucepan, steam the reserved brussels sprouts in about 1/2 inch of water until bright green and tender-crisp. Stir them into the soup. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Serve at once. Garnish each serving with a sprinkling each of parsley and the optional almonds.
Per serving:Calories: 224; Fat: 14 g; Protein: 8g; Fiber: 6g; Carbs: 21g; Sodium: 77mg
Variations: In place of almond butter, use cashew butter or peanut butter; use the corresponding nuts for topping.
- Warm yourself up with more fall harvest soup recipes.