Asparagus, Squash, and Red Bell Pepper Sauté
An appealing vegetable trio — asparagus, zucchini or summer squash, and red bell peppers — is enlivened by a wine-scented sauté. This colorful veggie side dish is perfect for embellishing everyday meals as well as spring holiday dinners. Photos by Rachael Braun
Serve: 6 or more
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (if you don’s use wine or don’t have
any on hand, use water or vegetable broth)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into short strips
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 ounces slender asparagus, bottoms trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a wide skillet or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
Add the wine, bell peppers, squash, asparagus, and optional scallions.
Sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until all the vegetables are tender-crisp to your liking, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Per serving: Calories: 88; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 6g; Carbs: 6g; Sodium: 135 mg