Avocado and Chickpea Sandwich Spread
Pairing the great flavors of avocado and chickpeas, this tasty sandwich spread was inspired by the avocado tartine offered at the restaurant chain Le Pain Quotidien. These eateries are all over NYC and are spreading elsewhere, which is great, as I’m completely addicted to that sandwich. Here’s an easy way to recreate it at home — also a good thing, as I’m quite addicted to avocado, plain or embellished. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Makes: 2 open-faced sandwiches
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup cooked or canned (drained and rinsed) chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, or as desired
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, or more, to taste
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh whole-grain bread
Optional garnishes (use any or all):
- Fresh sprouts
- Sunflower seeds
- Finely chopped black olives
- Finely diced fresh or sun-dried tomato
- Thinly sliced scallion (green part), or finely chopped parsley or cilantro
In a shallow bowl, combine the avocado and chickpeas. Mash with a fork until fairly smooth, leaving a bit of texture.
Add the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and cumin to the avocado-chickpea mixture and stir until well blended. Season gently with salt and pepper.
For each serving, spread two slices of whole-grain bread on a plate and divide the spread among them. Top with any of the desired toppings and serve at once.
- Here are more easy and tasty Sandwiches and Wraps.