Baked Rice with Cheese and Green Chiles
In this Southwestern rice casserole, the chilies and cilantro give a delectable flavor to an otherwise simple dish. This is delicious served with Beer-Stewed Pinto Beans and a big green salad.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (from about 1 1/2 cups raw)
- 8 ounces grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (homemade or store-bought) or Cashew Cream
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced,
or one to two 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chilies
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over low heat until lightly browned.
In a mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 1/2-quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.