This simple recipe for banana fritters, given to me by a wonderful Jamaican cook, makes a pleasantly offbeat breakfast treat. When my kids were growing up, I found this easy enough to make for breakfast even on school days, on occasion. They’re also a nice accompaniment to savory dishes like bean stews or spicy dishes.
Makes: About 12 fritters
- 2 ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, coconut flour,
almond flour, or gluten-free flour mix
- Pinch each: ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1 cup vanilla or plain nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread, or as needed
- Maple syrup or all-fruit preserves
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until just smoothly blended.
Heat a nonstick griddle or wide skillet and coat lightly with Earth Balance. Drop the batter onto the hot griddle in scant 1/4 cups full. Cook each fritter on both sides until golden brown. When flipping to the second side, press down a bit with the spatula to flatten further. This ensures that they’ll cook through.
Serve hot, either on its own or with preserves or maple syrup.
- Click here for more vegan breakfast recipes.
5 Responses to “Banana Fritters”
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *