Black Bean Nachos Grandes are great as an appetizer, a light meal, or a simple accompaniment to salads and grain dishes. Use natural stone-ground organic tortilla chips for best results. Delicious served with your favorite salsa and, if you’d like, some guacamole. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 4 to 6 ounces good-quality tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheddar or spicy jack cheese,or a combination
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh (raw or lightly cooked) or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 medium avocado, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Two thinly sliced scallions, optional
- Salsa (your favorite brand), as desired
- [url href="http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/super-easy-guacamole/" target="_blank"]Super-Easy Guacamole[/url], or your favorite kind, optional
- Spread the chips out in a single layer on a large platter, or divide among two plates.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients (except the salsa and optional guacamole) over the chips in the order given.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for 8 to 10 minutes, or microwave until the cheese is bubbly, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve at once with salsa on the side, as well as some guacamole, if you’d like.
Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.