Black Bean Sloppy Joes

Black Bean Sloppy Joes

These black bean sloppy joes are a go-to recipe that you can make even when you’re at the tail end of a wearisome day. It’s delicious with a big salad or coleslaw and baked sweet potatoes or, if time or patience aren’t an issue, Potato or Sweet Potato Oven “Fries.” Recipe and photo contributed by April Jones.

Serves: 6

• 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced, optional
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil or a small amount of broth
  • Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and lightly mashed
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon natural granulated sugar or agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
  • Dried hot red pepper flakes or Sriracha sauce to taste, optional
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Whole grain rolls or hamburger buns
  • Pickles, sliced onions, and/or your favorite burger fixings

In a large saucepan, sauté the bell pepper, jalapeños, onion, and garlic in oil or broth until tender.

Add the beans, cumin and coriander, cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring two or three times.

Add the tomatoes, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a blender jar or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour blended tomatoes into bean mixture and simmer 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve on buns with pickles, sliced onions, and/or your favorite burger fixings.

April Jones is the publisher of Kitchen-Blender-Reviews.com. She is very passionate about green smoothies, healthy eating and teaching others the value of eating a balanced, nutritious diet.

image_pdfimage_print

15 Responses to “Black Bean Sloppy Joes”

1. Melissa naster says:

cant wait to make this! Looks perfect for a snowy day! My kids will love it!

2. Nava says:

Oh my, I hate to think of snowy days already!

3. Amy says:

are the beans supposed to be drained?

4. Nava says:

Amy, yes, drain and rinse the beans. Thanks for the catch! I’ve made the correction.

5. Cesar says:

Saw the recipe, looked interesting…so i tried it out, did everything as stated, they came out delicious, they have that original sloppy joe lightly sweet finish, but without the beef!
    Great recipe.

6. Caitlin says:

what a great idea! definitely have to give them a try ;)

7. Heather says:

Are the tomatoes meant to be drained as well?

8. Nava says:

Heather, you need not drain the tomatoes.

9. Brenda W. says:

Nava,

Thanks for a super quick, super tasty dinner!! I had this on the table tonight in 20 minutes!

A few notes for others … I have a VERY tender palate, and so I skipped the jalapeños. The end result, while still very tasty, was missing “something”. While I wouldn’t want hot peppers in there, I may add a dash of hot sauce next time.

I dumped the can of tomatoes into the pan with everything else, and THEN read the part about pureeing them first in a blender. I actually think I like it better this way.

Pictures:

Thanks again Nava for a superb recipe!

10. jeanette says:

This turned out really well and I actually didn’t use it as a hamburger/sloppy joe, we just made it into burritos and they were yummy. As far as the tomatoes, I forgot to buy the fire roasted can, so I just cut up two large tomatoes and roasted them over the stove and used tomato sauce and it turned out great.

11. Carrie says:

I made this tonight for dinner for me and my husband and we both loved it. I also whipped up some baked sweet potato fries to go the side and it made a great a combo together! I call it a MUST TRY :D!!!

12. Nava says:

Thanks to everyone who has left a comment here about April’s recipe. I’ll have to let her know what a hit her sloppy joes have been with VegKitchen readers!

13. Jennifer Langlois says:

I just tried this recipe and wow! It is AMAZING! I will def. be cooking it more often. Thanks for sharing.

14. TJ Carter says:

If you are a strict vegetarian, use vinegar instead of the Worcestershire sauce.

15. Nava says:

Good point. Balsamic would be nice. Or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. I think there is such a thing as vegan Worcestershire, but I don’t imagine it’s that easy to find. Thanks for your comment!