BBQ-Flavored White Beans with Sausage and Spinach
I will fully admit that this recipe screams “emergency dinner!” But it’s spicy, hearty, high in protein, and best of all, ready for the table in about 20 minutes. Some nights, you need a main dish like that, and this one never disappoints.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup natural barbecue sauce, any flavor
- 4 to 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
Heat the oil in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
Add the garlic and sausage; continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until everything is golden, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the beans and barbecue sauce. Cook until piping hot, about 4 minutes.
Add the spinach and cover. When it wilts down a bit, stir it in. Continue to cook for just a minute or so longer. Serve at once.