Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread or Salad
Chickpeas and kale are a tasty team, and this combination makes a great spread for bread, or a filling for pita bread or a wrap with some tender lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Or, simply place a scoop of it on a bed of baby greens or in a Bibb lettuce leaf, and garnish with cherry tomatoes and black olives. Photos by Rachael Braun.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 medium kale leaves (any variety)
- One 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves,
or a sprig or two of fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into large pieces, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Stem the kale leaves and tear the leaves into several pieces. Place in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse on and off until finely chopped.
Add the remaining ingredients and pulse on and off until the chickpeas are also evenly chopped and everything is nicely blended—don’t overprocess; leave the mixture a bit chunky.
Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed. Serve as suggested above, in the headnote.