Chickpea and Kale Sandwich Spread or Salad
Chickpeas and kale are a tasty team, and this combination makes a great spread for bread, or a filling for pita bread or a wrap with some tender lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Or, simply place a scoop of it on a bed of leafy greens or in a Bibb lettuce leaf, and garnish with tomatoes and/or black olives.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 medium kale leaves (any variety)
- One 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves, or a sprig or two of fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 scallions, green parts only, cut into large pieces, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Add the remaining ingredients and pulse on and off until the chickpeas are also evenly chopped and everything is nicely blended—don’t overprocess; leave the mixture a bit chunky.