Black Bean Salad with Tomatoes, Olives, and Croutons
This easy and appetizing bean and tomato salad adds color and crunch to any meal. Use gluten-free croutons if need be, or replace with sautéed cubes of prepared polenta. It’s delicious with grain dishes and pastas, or simple quesadillas or soft tacos. Add some sautéed greens or steamed broccoli and you’ve got a great weekday meal! Adapted from Vegan Express. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large or 4 medium flavorful ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup green pimiento olives, halved
- 1 cup prepared natural croutons, or homemade (see Note)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or more, as desired
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
(or use both!)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or baby spinach, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and toss well. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Toss well again. Serve on a bed of greens or spinach if desired.
Note: Making your own croutons is easy. Simply cut any sort of whole grain bread into squares. If you’d like to make seasoned croutons, brush lightly with olive oil and season gently with salt-free seasoning blend like Frontier or Mrs. Dash. Or, just leave the bread cubes plain. Bake in a 300-degree F oven or toaster oven, stirring occasionally, until dry and nicely golden brown. Time will vary greatly depending on the kind of bread you’re using, but figure at least 20 minutes, and likely longer. Let cool completely before using.
Per serving: 179.7 calories; 8.6g fat; 641.7mg sodium; 421.3mg potassium; 22.5g carbs; 5.7g fiber; 0g sugar; 5.8g protein
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.