Black Bean Salad with Tomatoes, Olives, and Croutons
This quick, easy, and appetizing bean salad adds color and crunch to any meal. Use gluten-free croutons if need be, or replace with sautéed cubes of prepared polenta. Think of this as a side-by-side dish, rather than merely as a side dish. It’s delicious with grain dishes and pastas, or serve with simple quesadillas or soft tacos. Add some sautéed greens or steamed broccoli and you’ve got a great weekday meal! Adapted from Vegan Express. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
Serves: 4 to 6
- One 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large or 4 medium flavorful ripe tomatoes, diced
(tomatoes-on-the-vine are best for winter)
- 1/2 cup green pimiento olives, halved
- 1 cup prepared natural croutons
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or baby spinach, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and toss well. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Toss well again. Serve on a bed of greens or spinach if desired.
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.