Chickpea Salad with Tomatoes and Basil
This easy chickpea salad is a great companion to many Italian-style pasta dishes or simple grain dishes, especially if the meal needs a protein boost. It’s also good with pasta salads or potato salads as cool summer meal, served with a cold soup or fresh corn. This is especially good with ripe summer tomatoes.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups cooked or 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or baby arugula (or a combination), optional
Combine all the ingredients except the optional greens in a mixing bowl and toss well. Serve on its own, or over greens, if you’d like.