Avocado and Bean Enchiladas
These enchiladas make for a perfect meal for the family or a small dinner party. This recipe is from Vegetariana* by Nava Atlas.
Serves: 4, generously
- 4 cups cooked or canned pinto or
black beans (about 1½ to 1 2/3 cups raw)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-ounce can mild or hot green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 15- to 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 large ripe avocado, finely diced
- 1 large ripe tomato, finely chopped
- Grated cheddar-style vegan cheese
- Vegan sour cream, optional
Coarsely mash the beans and set them aside.
Heat a medium-sized skillet. Toast each tortilla over medium heat on both sides until crisp.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté over medium heat until tender but not browned. Add the beans, chilies, seasonings, and crushed tomatoes, and stir well. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Assemble the enchiladas as follows: Place a bit of shredded lettuce on each tortilla, followed by the bean mixture, then some diced avocado and tomato. Top with a sprinkling of grated cheese, and, if desired, a small dollop of sour cream. To eat, pick up the whole thing and eat out of hand, , or cut small pieces off with a knife and fork.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and
more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
- Here are more easy bean main dishes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!