Bulgur with Fine Noodles
Here’s a simple, sturdy grain side dish for everyday meals. Combining a hearty grain like bulgur with delicate noodles is a tasty way to enjoy both. This is excellent served with winter squash dishes, though it can be served year round. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 6 or more as a side dish
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or 2 cups water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup raw bulgur
- 4 ounces spaghetti or vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread, such as Earth Balance
- 4 to 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, plus additional for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring the stock or water and bouillon cube to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Stir in the bulgur. You can either simmer it gently, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes, or simply cover and leave it off the heat for 30 minutes.
Shortly before the grain is done, bring water to a simmer in another saucepan. Break the pasta in half, then in half again. Cook it in steadily simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Combine the bulgur and pasta in a large serving bowl. Add the margarine and toss to melt. Stir in the scallions, half of the chopped parsley, and the paprika.
Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the top with the remaining parsley and a little additional paprika, and serve.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.