Try this unusual combination of cauliflower and avocado in a casserole for a family dinner or even as an appetizer for a dinner party. It’ll be sure to please all your guests!
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 medium sweet red or green bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 to 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup firmly packed grated mild soy cheese
- Sesame seeds for topping
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and florets and steam or stir-fry them until crisp-tender. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Oil a large shallow baking dish and arrange the cauliflower pieces in it. Sprinkle the diced avocado over the cauliflower.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the red or green pepper and sauté over moderate heat until it softens a bit, then add the scallions and parsley and sauté until they are wilted. Spread the mixture evenly over the cauliflower and avocado and top with the grated cheese. Sprinkle the sesame seeds generously over the top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Explore other recipes using broccoli and cauliflower.