Cauliflower, Carrot, and Olive Salad
Here’s an easy salad of lightly cooked cauliflower and raw carrots, with lots of extra flavor from parsley, olives, and sunflower seeds. This works well with a compatible hearty salad like Tabbouli. Add store-bought or homemade hummus and warm pita bread, and you’ve got a great warm-weather meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, preferably oil-cured
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinaigrette, homemade or store-bought, or as needed to moisten
- A splash of lemon juice, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
Place the cauliflower in a skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and steam for 3 to 4 minutes, just until tender-crisp.
Transfer the cauliflower to a colander and refresh under cool water. Drain well. Combine the cauliflower with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and stir together.
If time allows, let the salad stand at room temperature for an hour or so to allow to marinate. Otherwise, serve at once.
Per serving: 217 calories; 16g fat; 425mg sodium; 13g carbs; 4g fiber; 3g protein