Chinese-Style Vegetable Fried Rice
This tasty version of the Chinese take-out favorite, Vegetable Fried Rice, can be made quickly — especially if you’ve cooked the rice ahead of time.
- 1 1/4 cups raw brown rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive or other healthy vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 8-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 4 to 5 scallions, minced
- 15-ounce can baby corn, drained, cut in half if long
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger
- 3 tablespoonsreduced-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring 3 cups water to a simmer in a saucepan. Stir in the rice; cover and cook at a gentle, steady simmer until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes.
Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan or extra-wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
Add the mixed vegetables and scallions and stir-fry over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in the cooked rice, sesame oil, and ginger. Season to with soy sauce and pepper. Stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes, then serve.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.