Chocolate Cherry Bomb Smoothie
Healthy? Chocolate? Yes, please! This smoothie uses homemade walnut milk and even adds two cups of frozen broccoli whose flavor or color cannot be detected at all. This is the perfect smoothie for kids (or significant others) whom you might just not want to tell them that it’s healthy. Recipe and photo contributed by Carrie Forrest, from Carrie on Vegan. Serves: 2
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted walnuts (optional extra step: soak in water overnight
and rinse them well before using)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 cup frozen cherries (organic, if possible)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 large dates, pitted
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Cacao nibs for topping (optional)
Make homemade walnut milk by blending the walnuts and the water in a high-speed blender for one minute. Next, add frozen fruit and remaining ingredients and blend on high until smooth. Serve cold with cacao nibs sprinkled on top. Carrie Forrest is a graduate student in public health nutrition, author of the popular blog, Carrie on Vegan, and creator of the recipe app for iPhones and iPads, Vegan Delish. As a survivor of thyroid cancer, she is keenly aware of the health benefits of a whole foods, plant-based diet. Carrie has been vegan since 2010 based on her love for animals and a commitment to making the world a more compassionate place.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s recipes for fruit smoothies.