Chocolate Chip Apricot Blondies
Makes: 12 squares
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, optional
- 3/4 cup applesauce or vanilla nondairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla rice milk, or as needed
- 3/4 cup finely diced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably cane juice sweetened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine the first four (dry) ingredients plus the optional flaxseeds and stir together.
Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt, syrup, oil, and enough rice milk to make a smooth and slightly stiff batter. Stir until completely mixed. Stir in the apricots, chocolate chips, and optional walnuts.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled 9- by 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center tests clean (with the exception melted chocolate chips). Allow to cool in the pan until just warm, then cut into squares to serve.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.