Chunky Sweet Potato Bisque
A satisfying soup that gets its golden-orange color from sweet potatoes and carrots, this will warm you throughout the fall and winter. It’s a main dish meal in a bowl, so you can complete it simply with a salad and some fresh bread.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large or 3 to 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 15- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt-free all-purpose seasoning (such as Frontier or Mrs. Dash)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 15- to 16-ounce can large white beans (cannellini or Great Northern),
drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk, or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley or cilantro for topping, as desired
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and enough water to barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a slow boil, then stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer gently, covered, until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
If using an immersion blender, add the beans and blend about half of the ingredients in the pot, giving the soup a chunky texture.
If using a food processor, transfer about half of the solid ingredients into the container, along with half of the beans and a little of the cooking liquid, then return to the soup pot.
Add enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Season with salt and pepper, then return to the heat and simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes longer.
Serve at once, or let stand off the heat for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed. Top individual servings with parsley or cilantro, if desired.
Calories: 196; Total fat: 7g; Protein: 6g; Fiber: 4.6g; Carbs: 29g; Sodium: 173 mg