Apples and cinnamon folded into pancakes; what can you say but “Yum”?
Serves: 4 to 6, about 24 3- to 4-inch pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup plain or vanilla nondairy yogurt
- 1 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- 1 heaping cup very thinly sliced, peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, optional
- Cooking oil spray or nonhydrogenated margarine
- Applesauce and/or maple syrup
- Extra cinnamon
Combine the first 3 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir, then whisk together until thoroughly combined, but do not overbeat. Add more nondairy milk if the batter seems too thick. Stir in the apple slices and optional almonds.
Lightly coat a non-stick griddle with cooking oil spray or nonhydrogened margarine. Ladle the batter on in scant 1/4 cupfuls. Cook over medium heat on both sides until golden brown. These need to brown a bit slower than do most griddlecakes to be cooked all the way through.
Keep the pancakes in a covered casserole dish in a 200 degree oven until all are done. Serve hot with applesauce or maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Here are more apple recipes on VegKitchen.