Apples and cinnamon folded into vegan pancakes; what can you say but “Yum”? This is a lovely leisurely weekend breakfast or brunch, especially in the fall, when apples are abundant. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6, about 24 3- to 4-inch pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use gluten-free flour mix)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups plain or vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- 1 heaping cup very thinly sliced, peeled apple
- Cooking oil spray or vegan buttery spread
- Applesauce and/or maple syrup
- Extra cinnamon
Combine the first 3 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Start with 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk; stir, then whisk together until thoroughly combined, but do not overbeat. Add more nondairy milk if the batter seems too thick.
Lightly coat a non-stick griddle with cooking oil spray or vegan buttery spread. Ladle the batter on in 1/4 cupfuls. Cook over medium heat on both sides until golden brown.
Keep the pancakes in a covered casserole dish until all are done. Serve hot with applesauce and/or maple syrup.