This cranberry and apple relish adds vivid color to fall harvest meals, and is a nice change of pace from jellied cranberry sauces for Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday meals.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 4 medium sweet apples, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of allspice or nutmeg
- ¼ cup golden or dark raisins, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the raisins in a large saucepan. Stir together.
- Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the cranberries have burst and the apples are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the optional raisins and allow to cool, uncovered. Taste and add a bit more maple syrup or agave, if you’d like it to be a bit sweeter. Transfer to a serving container and serve at room temperature.