Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
This delicious and very pretty cake was contributed by Dynise Balcavage from The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine.* It’s a lovely dessert to serve at for winter holiday meals, but you need not wait for a special occasion to make and enjoy it.
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar
- 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat pastry flour, half white spelt)
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon soy flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil or 1 tablespoon lemon zest, chopped very fine
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt together 1⁄4 cup of the Earth Balance and all the brown sugar. Pour into oiled cake pan and arrange cranberries evenly on top.
In a large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and soy flour. In a medium bowl, mix milk, vanilla, lemon oil or zest, and remaining 1⁄4 cup Earth Balance). Using a mixer, blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the cake batter over the cranberry mixture and bake for about 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake and run a knife along the circumference of the pan to separate the cake from the pan’s edge.
Allow cake to cool for at least 15 minutes—ideally 30 minutes. Place plate on top of cake and quickly invert and remove pan.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
Visit Dynise Balcavage at The Urban Vegan.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Here are more Fruity Baked Goods.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!