Eggnog is the official beverage of December. It’s rare to encounter it any other time, and truly is Christmas spirit in a cup. We were so pleased when we whipped up this vegan eggnog mixture and created an egg-free version to sip with some spiced rum or on its own. Extra nutmeg always welcome! Recipe and photo contributed by Samantha Shorkey, from The Vegan Project. To order What to Feed that Effing Vegan: The Holiday Edition, VegKitchen readers can get this instantly downloadable pdf e-book for just $5 (regularly $7) by entering coupon code: thateffingvegkitchen — which includes 20+ delicious recipes to create a full course holiday dinner plus appetizers, brunch, cocktails, desserts and many gluten-free options!
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup soaked dates in 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg + more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (including the water you soaked the dates in) and blend until smooth and frothy. This can take a few minutes in an older blender.
- Transfer to a container and chill in the refrigerator until needed.
- When ready to serve, place back into blender to allow more frothing because mixture can separate. Pour into mugs and garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
- Here are more tips for keeping the Holidays and Special Occasions healthy!