Curried Potato-Tomato Salad
Potatoes, tomatoes, and green peas in a curry-flavored base add up to a luscious salad that’s most welcome in the summertime but delicious any time of year as long as you can find flavorful tomatoes.
- 5 to 6 medium golden or red-skinned potatoes
(or substitute a medium sweet potato for two of the potatoes)
- 2/3 cup coconut yogurt or vegan mayonnaise, or half of each
- 1 to 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium flavorful ripe tomatoes or 4 to 5 smaller tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup steamed fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
If you plan on leaving the skins on the potatoes, scrub them well. Microwave or bake whole potatoes the potatoes in their skins until done but still firm. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature, then cut into dice and transfer to a serving container.
Or, you can dice the raw potatoes and steam them in a saucepan with just enough water to keep the bottom of the pan moist, stirring occasionally, until done to a firm texture. Drain, then transfer to a serving container and allow to cool to room temperature.
Combine the yogurt or vegan mayo with the curry powder and cumin in a small bowl and stir together well. Pour over the potatoes and stir add the remaining ingredients, and mix gently and thoroughly. Serve at once or let stand briefly at room temperature before serving.
- See more of VegKitchen’s recipes for potato salads.