Dense and Fruity Banana Bread
Wholesome and seductive all at once, this moist banana bread is wonderful with tea or as a sweet but healthy breakfast. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 medium ripe bananas, well mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce or apple butter
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/3 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk, or as needed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dates or dried apricots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the bananas, applesauce, oil, and enough milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed, then stir in the dried fruit and optional walnuts.
Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9-by 5-by 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is firm and a knife inserted into the center tests clean. When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm before slicing.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
One comment on “Dense and Fruity Banana Bread”
Pingback: A Colorful Vegan Christmas | Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes: In a Vegetarian Kitchen