Contributed by Carol Smolinski. I love this bread as an accompaniment for any savory soup. They also make the best sandwiches: Earth Balance Mayo, thinly sliced: avocado, tomato, cucumber, leafy green lettuce, spinach leaves, kale, roasted veggies, steamed sliced squash – the ingredients for a sandwich are endless! I love savory offerings and also have a vegan cream cheese spread recipe I make that compliments this bread wonderfully.
Makes one loaf
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Very generous pinch of powdered turmeric
- 1 cup firm tofu, very well drained, then mashed
to resemble small curd cottage cheese)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 5 tablespoons plain coconut milk or soy milk creamer
- 1 generous tablespoon agave nectar
- 5 tablespoon melted Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 3 heaping tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Prepare an 8- or 9- by 5-inch bread pan. I spray mine with canola oil, then flour the pan.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, blend all dry ingredients, completely.
In large mixing bowl, whisk all wet ingredients until completely blended; blend in the minced dill and mix just until all ingredients are completely blended and transfer to the loaf pan.
The batter will be somewhat stiff, so when spreading it about in the pan, I use a large flat-ish soup spoon and dip it lightly in water when spreading the batter.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is a lovely golden brown. Test with a small knife to see if it comes out clean.
Variation: If you aren’t a dill fan, you may substitute the fresh dill with a variety of other finely minced fresh herbs, such as parsley, equaling 3 tablespoons.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.