Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes: About 3 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, optional
- 1 cup applesauce (or a bit more as needed to make a smooth and slightly stiff batter)
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably cane juice sweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredient in a mixing bowl plus the optional flaxseeds and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce and oil. Stir together until the wet and dry ingredients are completely mixed.
Stir in the chocolate chips and optional walnuts. Drop the batter onto lightly oiled baking sheets in slightly rounded tablespoonfuls. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are just lightly browned. Let stand for a minute or two, then carefully remove with a spatula to plates to cool.
Variation: Add 1/4 cup or so dry unsweetened cocoa to the dry ingredients for a double chocolate cookie.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.