Vegan Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
These easy vegan chocolate chip cookies contain my favorite baking secret—using applesauce as a substitute for a lot of the fat and sugar used in conventional baked goods. Send them in the lunchbox, or serve with coffee or tea.
Makes: About 30
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, optional
- 1 cup applesauce (or a bit more as needed to make a smooth and slightly stiff batter)
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably cane juice sweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredient in a mixing bowl plus the optional flaxseeds and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce and oil. Stir together until the wet and dry ingredients are completely mixed. go ahead and work it all together with your hands if need be — it’s a bit messy, but easier.
Work in the chocolate chips and optional walnuts. Drop the batter onto lightly oiled or parchment-lined baking sheets in slightly rounded tablespoonfuls, then flatten with your palm or a fork.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are just lightly browned. Let stand for a minute or two, then carefully remove with a spatula to plates to cool.