Double-Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
These pretty, streusel-topped muffins are not only delectable, but contain a dose of Vitamin C from fresh orange juice as well as concentrate. The concentrate also contributes sweetness as well as color.
Yield: 1 dozen
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup orange juice (preferably fresh, with pulp)
- 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips, preferably cane juice sweetened
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine the first 3 (dry) ingredients and stir together. In another bowl, combine the juice, concentrate, yogurt, and oil and stir until blended.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together until thoroughly combined, then stir in the chocolate chips. Divide the batter evenly among 12 foil-lined muffin tins.
Combine the first 5 ingredients for the streusel in a small mixing bowl. Drizzle in the oil, then stir together until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the muffins.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin tests clean. When cool enough to handle, transfer the muffins to a plate or rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.