This relish-like eggplant salad is a classic warm weather dish.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 medium eggplants, about 3/4 pound each
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 pound ripe, juicy tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, optional
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Curly parsley for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until they collapse, about 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and chop fine.
Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and celery and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, the onion mixture, the reserved olive oil, and all the remaining ingredients except the garnish and stir together. Allow to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish the edges with curly parsley.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.
Print This Post