This relish-like eggplant salad is a classic warm-weather appetizer, whose characteristic ingredients include fresh tomatoes, celery, and olives. Serve on fresh Italian bread
or slices of Italian bread that have been baked until crisp (bruschetta) for a wonderful first course preceding a pasta dinner.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 medium eggplants, about 3/4 pound each
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 pound ripe, juicy tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, optional
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh or crisp bread for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until they collapse, about 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and chop fine.
Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and celery and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
In a mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, the onion mixture, the reserved olive oil, and all the remaining ingredients except the bread and stir together. Allow to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with parsley and serve with slices of fresh or grilled bread.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.