Big Quesadillas with Refried Beans, Spinach, and Avocado
A sweet and spicy salsa adds an element of surprise to these easy quesadillas.
Serves: 4 large servings, 8 moderate servings
- 4 to 5 ounces arugula or baby spinach
- One 15- to 16-ounce can refried beans (any vegan variety)
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and sliced
- Four 12-inch flour tortillas or wraps
- Pineapple Salsa, 1 cup, or as desired, or prepared salsa
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Rinse the greens and steam in a wide skillet or Dutch oven, just for a minute or so, until wilted. Transfer to a colander and drain well.
Combine the refried beans with a small amount of water in a mixing bowl—just enough to make the beans more spreadable.
Lay a tortilla on a baking sheet. Spread one half of it with 1/4 of the refried beans, followed by 1/4 of the greens and 1/4 of the tomato slices. Fold over to cover. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, using an additional baking sheet if needed.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tortillas begins to turn golden and crisp. Watch carefully!
To serve, place each quesadilla or half of a quesadilla on individual plates. Top with some of the avocado slices. Serve at once, passing around salsa to top individual portions.