Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
Quesadillas made with vegan cheese are a great choice for an easy dinner. Serve with a big salad and a simple grain or potatoes (better yet, sweet potatoes). You can make these on the stovetop or in the oven.
Makes 8; 1 or 2 per serving
- 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced,
or 4-ounce can mild or hot chopped green chiles
- 8 soft taco-size (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese, or as desired
- Salsa (homemade or prepared), as desired
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or storebought) or Cashew Cream, optional
Heat a large non-stick griddle, or preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together. Arrange the filling on one half of each tortilla, leaving about a l/2-inch border near the edges. Sprinkle each with a little of the cheese. Fold each tortilla over to make a half-circle.
If heating on a griddle, cook the quesadillas on both sides until nicely golden brown (flip them carefully!). If using the oven, bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the quesadillas are hot and beginning to turn light golden brown.
Arrange one quesadilla on each serving plate and cut in half with a sharp knife to make two wedges. Top each with a bit of the salsa and if desired, a small dollop of sour cream.