Black Bean Sloppy Joes
This week’s recipe, by April Jones, a regular VegKitchen contributor, is one of those go-to recipes you can make even when you’re at the tail end of a wearisome day. It’s delicious with a big salad or coleslaw and baked sweet potatoes or, if time or patience aren’t an issue, sweet potato oven fries.
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced, optional
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or more to taste
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained, rinsed,
and lightly mashed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole grain rolls or hamburger buns
- Pickles, sliced onions, and/or your favorite burger fixings
In a large saucepan, sauté the bell pepper, jalapeños, onion, and garlic until tender.
Add the beans, cumin and coriander, cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring two or three times.
Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce in a blender jar. Blend until smooth. Pour blended tomatoes into bean mixture and simmer 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve on buns with pickles, sliced onions, and/or your favorite burger fixings.
- See VegKitchen’s selection of vegan sandwiches and wraps.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
April Jones is the publisher of Kitchen-Blender-Reviews.com. She is very passionate about green smoothies, healthy eating and teaching others the value of eating a balanced, nutritious diet.