Mozzarella Mashed Potato Pie
Here’s one of my earliest comfort food favorites, now veganized, from Vegetariana. With Daiya or Follow Your Heart vegan cheeses, it’s just as good as with the real thing.
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, preferably russet
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine such as Earth Balance
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs, or a mixture of wheat germ and bread crumbs
- 8 ounces grated vegan mozzarella-style cheese
- Paprika for topping
Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until tender. When they’re done, plunge them into a bowl of cold water, then pre-heat the oven to 350̩º F.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the margarine and mash until the potatoes are smooth and fluffy. Stir in the rice milk and season with salt and pepper.
Generously oil a 9-inch casserole dish (preferably round, though a square one will do). Line the bottom and sides of the dish with half of the bread crumbs.
Pour in half of the mashed potatoes, smooth down, and top with half of the grated cheese. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs over the top and follow with a generous sprinkling of paprika.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven, let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Casseroles And Other Comfort Foods.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
- Browse more of VegKitchen’s vegan casserole recipes.