Potatoes with Tofu and Green Chilies
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 or 5 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 14- to 16-ounce tub extra-firm tofu, blotted well and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 fresh hot chili peppers, 4-ounce can green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 2/3 cup plain rice milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
Preheat the oven to 375º F.
Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins. When cool enough to handle, peel and dice them, then transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the diced tofu and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the pieces are lightly golden on most sides. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
In the same skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is lightly browned. Stir in the chilies and seasonings. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it dissolves. Pour in the rice milk and stir together. Simmer until the liquid thickens.
Combine the skillet mixture with the potatoes and tofu. Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly oiled large shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes, then serve.Print This Post