From-the-Pantry Pot Pie
This recipe is a great way to use up what you have on hand. You can also incorporate leftover veggies, sausage, or beans. Recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester, reprinted by permission of the author. Photo by Cara Lyons of
Serves: 4 to 6
For the Stew:
- 1 small onion, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 large stalk celery, minced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed chicken-flavored seitan,
store-bought or homemade, crumbled, cooked sausage,
diced tofu, beans, or diced potato
- 1 pound frozen mixed green beans, corn, carrots,
and peas (you can use fresh or leftovers instead)
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour, if needed
For the Biscuits:
- 1 cup white, whole wheat, or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain or unsweetened nondairy milk
The night before:
To make the stew: Place the cut-up onion, garlic, celery, and seitan in a large airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
In the morning:
Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all of the ingredients except the flour in the slow cooker. Add 1 to 2 cups (235 to 470 ml) extra water if you will cook it longer than 8 hours, or if your slow cooker runs a little hot. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving: Add more water if the mixture is too thick, or add the flour if the stew needs to thicken up a bit. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
To make the biscuits: Combine all the biscuit ingredients in a bowl and work until it comes together into a dough. Turn the mixture out onto a floured cutting board, roll out about 1/2 inch thick, and cut into circles with the rim of a glass. Place in the slow cooker on top of the filling.
Turn up the slow cooker to high. Prop open the lid with the handle of a wooden spoon, or place a clean dishtowel under the lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto your biscuits. Cook an additional 30 minutes.
Total Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 6 to 8 hours plus 30 minutes to cook the biscuits
Make biscuits days ahead and freeze. It will take about 15 more minutes for them to cook, but you won’t have to bother with making them when you get home. Plus, it never hurts to have ready-to-bake biscuits in the freezer for a last-minute treat.
- Here are more vegan slow-cooker recipes.