Pineapple Rice Salad
This luscious main-dish salad is a crowd-pleaser. Brown rice mingles with chewy baked tofu, pineapple chunks, broccoli and bell peppers. Leftovers are great in for portable lunches, packed in a container. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice (brown basmati is particularly good)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more to taste
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, or one 16-ounce can
unsweetened pineapple chunks, well drained
- 2 cups small bite-sized broccoli florets, steamed until bright green
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 8-ounce package baked tofu, cut into narrow strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Gently simmer rice in 2 cups water until absorbed, about 35 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add an additional 1/2 cup water and cook until absorbed.
Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder in a small bowl and whisk together and set aside until needed.
When the rice is done, combine it with the remaining ingredients in a serving container and stir together. Stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature, then serve.