Summer Squash, Green Bean, and Chickpea Salad
This appealing mix of yellow summer squash, green beans and chickpeas is especially welcome when slender fresh green beans are abundant. It makes a great summer salad that can be a main dish, served with crusty bread and fresh corn, or as a side dish for vegan quesadillas or grain dishes.
- 2 small yellow summer squashes
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into l-inch pieces
- 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro,
or more, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes or black olives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Mixed baby greens or massaged kale
- Sunflower or pumpkin seeds for topping, optional
Scrub the squashes, cut them in half lengthwise, and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Steam them until they just tender-crisp. At the same time, steam the green beans separately until just tender-crisp. Once done, rinse the vegetables immediately under cold water and allow to drain for a few minutes in a colander.
Combine the squash and green beans in a large serving bowl along with all the remaining ingredients except the greens. Toss well, and if time allows, cover and refrigerate for several hours. Stir occasionally to distribute the dressing.
Just before serving, line a platter with greens and mound the salad over them.
- Here are more recipes for bean salads.
- Sample more of VegKitchen’s recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.
- Browse more of our main dish salads.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *