Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas, allowing 1 per serving
(or see Note for a shortcut)
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green bell or red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (great with Daiya!)
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mixed baby greens or dark green lettuce, torn, as needed
Dressing (or see Note for shortcut):
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or good-quality ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Cut the tortillas into strips about 1/2 by 2 inches long. Heat a large skillet and toast the tortilla strips over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are dry and crisp. Set aside to cool.
Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Use greens or lettuce as needed, according to the number of servings needed.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the salad, toss well, and distribute to individual serving bowls. Divide the tortilla strips among each serving, scattering them over the top of the salad as a garnish.
Notes: For a shortcut, simply use good-quality stone-ground tortilla chips, crumbled, in place of the tortilla strips. And use your favorite dressing instead of the recipe given here — French, Catalina, or a chili-lime vinaigrette are all good choices.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Main-Dish Salads.
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.
Print This Post
3 comments on “Taco Salad”
Pingback: Meatless Monday: Veggie Taco Salad | Eating Out of the Local Box