Salad is a lot more fun when it becomes a taco salad. Incorporating all the lively flavors of tacos, this tasty salad is quick and easy to prepare, and is a great choice when you’d like a hearty main-dish salad. If you’re short on time, use some of the shortcut suggested. Have it on its own for lunch; complete the meal with baked sweet potatoes, vegan quesadillas, and/or corn-on-the-cob for dinner.
Serves: 2 to 3 (doubles easily)
- 2 to 3 corn tortillas, allowing 1 per serving
(or see Note for a shortcut)
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced, or about 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (great with Daiya!), optional
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or one 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or black beans,
drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Several sprigs cilantro, optional
- Mixed baby greens or sliced romaine lettuce, torn, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Dressing (or see Note for shortcut):
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or good-quality ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Cut the tortillas into strips about 1/2 by 2 inches long. Heat a large skillet and toast the tortilla strips over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are dry and crisp. Set aside to cool.
Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Use greens or lettuce as needed, according to the number of servings needed.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the salad, toss well, and distribute to individual serving bowls. Divide the tortilla strips among each serving, scattering them over the top of the salad as a garnish.
Notes: For a shortcut, simply use good-quality stone-ground tortilla chips, crumbled, in place of the tortilla strips. And use your favorite dressing instead of the recipe given here — French, Catalina, or a chili-lime vinaigrette are all good choices.