Tropical Tofu Salad with Chutney Mayonnaise
Fruity flavors mingle with broccoli, greens, and sprouts, in this luscious main dish salad, made with firm and chewy baked tofu. An easy chutney mayo dressing give it a nice twist. It’s delicious with mango, but since it’s not always available, pineapple is a good alternative.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mango chutney, or other fruit chutney
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, to taste
- 1 medium broccoli crown, cut into small florets
- 8-ounce package baked tofu, diced or cut into strips
- 1 medium mangos, peeled and diced (or 1 1/2 cups fresh
or drained canned pineapple chunks)
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- Mixed baby greens, as needed
- Green sprouts (sweet pea shoots, broccoli sprouts, or other), as desired, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, optional
Combine the mayonnaise, chutney, and lemon or lime juice in a small bowl and stir until smoothly blended. Set aside.
Steam the broccoli florets in a large saucepan until bright green and just tender-crisp. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cool water until the broccoli stops steaming.
Combine the broccoli with the tofu, mango, celery, and raisins in a mixing bowl. Stir together. You can pour the chutney mayo into the mixture and stir together or pass around for everyone to use on their individual servings.
To serve, line a platter with some baby greens, then mound the salad in the center, and top with the optional sprouts and/or nuts. Serve at once.