Layer on the Southwestern flavors in this playful pizza variation. Serve with a tossed salad and stone-ground tortilla chips. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes: 6 slices
- One 12- to 14-inch good-quality pizza crust
- 1 cup (about half of a 16-ounce can) vegan refried beans,
(I like Annie’s organic refried beans with green chili in the
BPA-free can) or homemade Refried Beans
- 1 cup mild or medium-hot salsa, your favorite variety
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Jack-style nondairy cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen organic corn kernels, thawed
- 1 to 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and sliced, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the crust on a pan. Spread it with the refried beans (thin canned refried beans with a tiny bit of water if need be, to make them more spreadable, depending on the brand), then the salsa.
Sprinkle with the cheese and corn kernels, followed by the scallions and optional chili pepper.
Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut into 6 wedges to serve.
Per Serving: 410 calories; 64g of carbs; 13g of fat; 14g of protein; 1,268mg of sodium; 6g of sugar