Layer on the Southwestern flavors in this playful pizza variation. Serve with a tossed salad and stone-ground tortilla chips. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes: 6 slices
- One 12- to 14-inch good-quality pizza crust
- 1 cup (about half of a 16-ounce can) spicy vegetarian refried beans,
thinned with a small amount of water
- 1 cup mild or medium-hot salsa
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar or Jack-style nondairy cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 to 2 scallions, sliced, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Place the crust on a pan. Spread it with the refried beans, then the salsa. Sprinkle with the cheese and corn kernels.
Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut into 4 or 6 wedges to serve.