Pizza with Onions, Peppers, and Artichokes
The combination of toppings on this vegan pizza —caramelized onions, plus red bell peppers, artichokes, and basil — is nothing short of spectacular. Serve with a big salad (add chickpeas or other beans for extra protein). Though it’s filling, this pizza goes down easy, so double the recipe if you’re feeding a hungry group. Though completely optional, tucking thin slices of fresh tomato between the pizza sauce and the cheese gives it a delicious summery flavor.
Makes 6 slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts (canned, frozen,
or from the supermarket’s olive bar; not marinated)
- Sliced fresh basil as desired (be generous!)
- One 12- to 14-inch good-quality pizza crust
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 3 to 4 medium tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, optional
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella-style nondairy cheese
(this is great with Daiya)
Preheat the oven to 425º F.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until just turning golden. Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is soft and lightly browned. Stir in the artichoke hearts and basil. Remove from heat and cover.
Place the crust on a pan. Spread the marinara sauce on the crust, then arrange the optional tomatoes over it (this is a great thing to do when late summer tomatoes are abundant). Top with the cheese. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the cheese is well melted. Remove from the oven and spread the mixture from the skillet over the surface. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Remove from the oven, let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut into 6 wedges to serve.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Pizza Recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pizza Dinner Recipes.