For a simple meal, serve this delicious caramelized onion pizza with a salad of mixed greens, cannellini or chickpeas), and ripe tomatoes.
Makes 6 slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large white or yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, preferably cured (such as Kalamata)
- 12-inch good-quality prepared pizza crust
- 4 to 6 ounces grated nondairy cheese, variety of your choice
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté slowly, covered, until translucent. Uncover and continue to sauté until they are nicely golden (but not browned), stirring often.
Arrange the onions on the pizza crust, then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the onions.
Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve at once.