Quinoa and Pink Bean Salad with Avocado and Jícama
Quinoa and pink beans join forces with avocado and crisp jícama for a sturdy salad with southwestern flavors. It’s a perfect main-dish salad, paired with a simple soup or Easy Quesadillas or Soft Tacos.
- 3/4 cup raw quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 cup halved yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup peeled and diced jícama (if not available,
use 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced)
- 1 medium firm, ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium orange or yellow bell pepper
- 15- to 16-ounce can small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salsa (use your favorite variety)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 to lime, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
Combine the quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a large mixing bowl to cool. If need be, speed up the cooling process by refrigerating for a while.
Once the quinoa is just warm, combine it with the remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl and stir together. Transfer to a serving container or serve straight from the mixing bowl.
Variation: Place each serving of this salad atop a bed of mixed baby greens, baby spinach, baby arugula, shredded romaine lettuce, or a combination.
- Explore Vegkitchen’s wide array of quinoa recipes.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Main-Dish Salads.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and
more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.