BBQ-Flavored Seitan and Avocado Wraps
This easy wrap is a longtime family favorite. Barbecue-flavored seitan contrasts deliciously with cool avocado and leafy greens. Like most wraps, it’s a salad disguised as a sandwich. It’s easy to make, fun to eat, and go well with just about anything — soups, potatoes, fresh corn, pasta salad, salsa and chips — any way you serve it, it’s a great meal. You can substitute tempeh or tofu for the seitan.
Makes 2 wraps
- 8 ounces seitan, drained and finely diced
(or substitute tempeh or well drained tofu)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 2 10-inch wraps
- Vegan mayonnaise, as needed
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, optional
- Mixed baby greens, shredded lettuce, baby arugula,
baby spinach, or a combination
- 1/2 avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
Heat the barbecue sauce in a small skillet. Add the seitan and cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced and envelopes the seitan nicely.
Place a wrap on a plate. Spread with vegan mayonnaise and sprinkle with hemp seeds, if you’d like.
Put a big handful of leafy greens in the center. Arrange a row of seitan right in the middle of it; make rows of avocado and tomatoes on either side, as shown in the photo.
Fold two sides the wrap over the ends of the row of seitan, keeping them tucked in as you roll the wrap snugly to enclose all the ingredients. Cut in half with a sharp knife and serve at once, or pack up to take to school or work in a container that will protect it from getting smooshed.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan sandwiches and wraps.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more