Tossed Salad Wraps
A basic tossed salad becomes a lot more appealing to salad skeptics if you wrap it up. This is especially good with soups, or as a lunchtime option for vegetarian or vegan kids with a more adventurous palate, or as a portable lunch for anyone.
- 3 or so cups thinly shredded lettuce (any variety—
bibb Boston, mixed baby greens, or tender romaine)
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes or olives of your choice
- 1/4 cup natural vegan dressing of your choice (French Thousand Island,
or a tahini-flavored dressing are good)
- Four 10-inch wraps or burrito-sized flour tortillas
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together.
Divide the salad among the 4 wraps, mounding it in the center of the wrap, Tuck two ends in over the salad, then roll up snugly. Cut each half and eat out of hand. No worries if you have more salad than needed; simply make another wrap or just eat as is.
- Add other thinly sliced or grated salad vegetables (carrots, turnips, radishes, red onion, etc.) and fresh herbs as desired.
- If you’re not serving these with a protein dish, add chickpeas or other beans, or thinly sliced strips of baked tofu to make these wraps more substantial.
- Spread the wrap with hummus in addition to or instead of salad dressing.
- Here are lots more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.