Vegan Avocado Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
The classic deli reuben sandwich can be made meatless as well as dairy-free with homemade or store-bought smoky strips, and just a touch of vegan cheese. Sauerkraut gives it a nice tang, and avocado makes it luscious! It’s great for a quick at-home lunch or dinner, served with soup or salad.The ingredients given here can be easily multiplied for more servings. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Makes: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices fresh whole grain rye bread
- Mustard or vegan Thousand Island dressing (homemade or store-bought), as needed
- Well-drained sauerkraut, as desired
- 4 slices or so Sweet and Smoky Tofu or Tempeh Tempeh Strips
(or for a shortcut, use store-bought smoky tempeh strips)
- Firm, ripe avocado, thinly sliced, as desired
- A sprinkling of grated nondairy cheese, more or less as desired (such as Daiya mozzarella-style)
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread each slice of bread with mustard or thousand island dressing, followed by sauerkraut, smoky tempeh or tofu strips, avocado, and a sprinkling of nondairy cheese.
Heat the sandwich or sandwiches in the oven for 8 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve at once.
Per serving (estimated, depending on how much of ingredients you choose to use and with pre-made tempeh): 631 calories; 31g fat; 741.8mg sodium; 1,076.4mg potassium; 55.2g carbs; 10.2g fiber; 4.4g sugar; 40.2g protein
- Here are more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.