Vegan Avocado Reuben Sandwich
This classic deli sandwich can be made meatless as well as dairy-free. It’s great for a quick at-home lunch or for a soup-and-sandwich dinner. The ingredients given here can be easily multiplied for more servings.
Makes: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices fresh whole grain rye bread
- Mustard or vegan Thousand Island dressing (homemade or store-bought), as needed
- 3 slices vegan bacon such as tempeh Fakin’ Bacon
or other vegan deli slices of choice
- Firm, ripe avocado, thinly sliced, as desired
- Well-drained sauerkraut, as desired
- 1/4 cup or so grated nondairy cheese of your choice
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 375 degrees.
Spread each slice of bread with mustard or thousand island dressing, followed by deli slices, some of the avocado, a little sauerkraut, and 1 slice cheese per sandwich.
Heat the sandwich or sandwiches in the oven for 8 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.