Pink Bean, Quinoa, and Spinach Soup
An appetizing, mildly spiced mélange of nourishing beans, quinoa, and greens, this makes a stellar centerpiece for a soup-based meal, as it’s done in 30 minutes or less. Quinoa is an excellent source of protein, making this practically a meal in a bowl. Photo by Susan Voisin, Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. Recipe adapted from Vegan Express.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 natural, salt-free vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- One 15-to 16-ounce can pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 5 to 6 ounces baby spinach leaves, well rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the carrots and garlic, and continue to sauté until all are golden, about 5 minutes.
Add 6 cups water, followed by the bouillon cubes, quinoa, beans, and spices. Bring to a rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender.
Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften. Add the spinach and cover. Cook for just a minute or two, until it is wilted, then stir it in. Adjust the consistency with a little more water if the soup is too dense; season with salt and pepper and serve.