Very Quick Black Bean Soup
Making a soul-satisfying black bean soup in such short order is a rarity, but organic canned black beans are so flavorful that they do the trick perfectly. Organic black beans are packed in a nice thick base, rather than a briny liquid. Take note of the variety of toppings you can use to dress the soup up each time you make it. This is delicious served with cornbread or a leafy wrap.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Two 28-ounce cans organic black beans, undrained
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Toppings (use any combination; vary each time you make this!)
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or store-bought) or Cashew Cream
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Finely chopped raw or lightly sautéed onion and/or garlic
- Finely chopped raw or lightly sautéed red or orange bell pepper.
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until the onion is lightly golden, another 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the toppings, along with 4 cups of water, and bring to a slow boil.
Mash some of the beans with a potato masher, just enough to thicken the liquid base of the soup. Cover and simmer gently but steadily for 10 minutes. Adjust the consistency with more water if need be.
Top each serving with a dollop of vegan sour cream or cashew cream, and a sprinkling of sliced scallion.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.