Very Quick Black Bean Soup
Making a soul-satisfying soup in such short order is a rarity, but canned black beans are so flavorful that they do the trick perfectly.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Two 28-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Sauté the onion over medium heat until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until the onion is lightly golden, another 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the toppings, along with 4 cups of water, and bring to a slow boil.
Mash some of the beans with a potato masher, just enough to thicken the liquid base of the soup. Cover and simmer gently but steadily for 10 minutes. Adjust the consistency with more water if need be.
Top each serving with a dollop of vegan sour cream or cashew cream, and a sprinkling of sliced scallion.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.